Holidays with a small child: advantages and disadvantages
Are you planning a vacation with your family? If you have a small child, you should not expect that your vacation will be like an ordinary vacation together and that it will take place according to your plan. As soon as the child begins to walk, do not expect him to sleep or be in one place all day.
However, all of the above does not mean that your vacation with your child can not be pleasant. Take into account some features of such a holiday – and you will enjoy it.
1. Some of you will definitely be unhappy. In most cases, the child remains unhappy, but sometimes it can be you or your spouse. The key to overcoming this problem is your emotional flexibility. It may be difficult for a small child to understand that you have come to rest, and he may require full attention to himself. Make small concessions for the child, let him a little more than usual. For example, you can slightly reduce the time for his daytime sleep or offer him a smoothie for dinner. This will relieve emotional stress and bring a bit of positive to your vacation.
2. Make your vacation as easy as possible. If you have different leisure options, choose a place where you can reach by car. If possible, do not plan a flight with your child. So you can avoid the need to drag luggage, entertain the child during the flight and handle many unforeseen situations that can happen during the trip. Holidays near the house can be no less interesting.
3. Carefully choose a place to relax. If you are not happy with the prospect of sharing a hotel room with a child, you should consider a place to stay for a vacation. Give preference to places that you already know (or about which you have gathered information on the Internet). Sometimes you can rent a spacious cottage for the price of a hotel room. Search the web for available options. But even if living in a cottage will cost you more, think about comfort. Your holiday experience depends on it.
4. You cannot foresee absolutely everything. If you are used to planning your trips to the smallest detail, it will be difficult for you to accept this fact. But if you spend your vacation in a new place for you, you cannot be absolutely sure of the quality of dishes that will be served in the cafe. If you spend your vacation abroad and do not know enough language, you will not be able to explain to the waiter how to cook this or that dish for the child. Finally, you may want to spend the evening together with your spouse, and the child may make adjustments to your plans.
But do not worry. All deviations from the planned plan can turn into unforgettable family impressions, which in the future you will remember with a smile.
5. Your vacation will no longer take place peacefully. Probably, it will not be easy for you to come to terms with this fact. But remember that this is temporary.
You know how much energy small children have, and this will affect all your vacation plans. Even if you plan on walking and sightseeing, be prepared for frequent stops and route changes. And after returning home, you and your spouse will definitely want to sleep some days. But the time spent with the family is worth it.
Many young parents believe that they lack parental experience to cope with all difficulties. But it is precisely such moments that seem difficult that make this period unforgettable.